Choosing a junk removal service can mean the difference between a job well done and a total nightmare.
When you’ve got a bunch of junk to get rid of, the hardest part can be finding a competent and reliable junk removal company to do the job for you.
Hauling an old refrigerator, dropping off an unwanted sofa, dragging a worn out mattress, or selling an outdated treadmill can be a cakewalk compared to the hassle of hiring a quality junk hauler who will provide impressive service from start to finish.
That’s why we’re going to share our tips for finding a junk removal service that will get the job done right the first time.
Looking for fast & easy junk removal?BOOK A PICKUP ❯
Looking For a Junk Removal Company
We’ve all heard horror stories about junk haulers who never called or showed up and junk removal companies that charged twice as much as what they originally quoted.
Even with a highly rated junk removal company, hiring someone to pick up and dispose of your junk can be stressful, cost more than we’d like, and have some nasty surprises like the sofa not fitting through the door or the fridge door falling open and scuffing walls.
Selecting the right junk hauler often means the difference between a junk removal disaster and a successful home decluttering project.
Unfortunately, even for those with experience working with a junk removal service, finding the right junk removal company can be a time-consuming hassle.
It can be tough to use a junk removal company and know what to expect. Because you’re spending more than just a couple bucks and dealing with your property, you could be in for a lot of pain if something goes wrong.
If you’re dealing with a big junk removal project like cleaning out your storage unit or replacing your entire bedroom suite, you’re definitely going to need a junk remover.
Some people only have one or two large items to get rid of but just don’t have the time or muscle to deal with disposing of those junk items on their own.
While junk removal can save you time and money, finding the right hauler can be time-consuming, especially if they require to come out for a “free” onsite estimate.
Broken TV gathering dust?BOOK A PICKUP ❯
How to Find the Best Junk Removal Service
Whatever your junk removal needs, there are lots of things to look out for to make sure your choice of junk hauler is a good fit while staying within budget and stress-free.
Steps to finding reliable junk removal services:
**Click to auto scroll by section
- Know what you need removed.
- Know when you need it removed.
- Ask for recommendations.
- Compare junk removal quotes.
- Hire a professional company.
- Hire a specialist that fits your custom needs.
- Make sure company has all licenses.
- Read customer reviews.
- Read the junk removal company’s Terms and Conditions
- Know if you need any paperwork.
- Know your pricing upfront.
- Find out how scheduling works.
- Check on insurance coverage.
- Check social media.
- Know the recycling policy.
- Know what you need removed. Have a list of the items you need to get rid of ready before you start looking for junk haulers. You’ll be able to get a more accurate quote when you have a clear idea of what the job will entail and a specific list of items, including their size, weight, and whether they need to be disassembled.
- Know when you need it removed. Figure out how long it will take before your junk is gone. Many junk removal companies advertise same-day service, but this usually means they’ll send someone out the same day to give you an estimate but then schedule your pickup as long as weeks into the future.
- Ask for recommendations. Reach out to friends, family, coworkers, and neighbors to ask if they have used any junk removal companies they would recommend. It’s also good to ask anyone you know who works in a similar trade since they might have connections in the junk removal industry.
- Compare junk removal quotes. Talk to at least three different junk removal companies to ask questions and get estimates. Come up with a list of specific questions for each one and keep a record of their answers and prices. Make sure you’re asking the same questions for each hauler and get prices for the same service features so you can better compare costs.
- Hire a professional company. You want to avoid bringing in someone who’s essentially some guy off the street to pick up your junk, so make sure the junk hauler you choose is legitimate and professional. Though finding someone on Craigslist or an on-demand general services app might be tempting, it’s a better idea to go through a professional junk removal company that insures and runs background checks on their employees and contractors.
- Hire a specialist that fits your custom needs. Another reason to use a professional junk removal company instead of someone from an on-demand general services app or your neighbor’s handyman is that you really want to find a company that specializes in the type of task you need done. This will mean more safety for your home and property, as well as a more positive and efficient junk removal experience.
- Make sure company has all licenses. You want to make sure the junk hauler you choose is licensed. Though licensing varies from state to state and city to city, check the junk removal company’s licenses as well as any complaints or lawsuits against them. You can check the Better Business Bureau and local court records for this. You can also ask the junk removal company for proof of licensing.
- Read customer reviews. It’s definitely a must to read online reviews about any junk haulers you’re considering, but don’t let them be the only thing influencing your decision. You can usually find honest reviews on sites like Yelp and Google. LoadUp gets customer reviews through reviews.io so that only customers who have had a pickup completed with LoadUp are able to leave reviews, and LoadUp is not able to edit the reviews.
- Read the junk removal company’s Terms and Conditions. It’s extremely important that you closely read and understand the junk removal company’s terms of service and cancellation policy before scheduling your pickup and agreeing to them. Too many people fail to read the fine print and then have a meltdown when something goes wrong and they end up taking a hit because they didn’t read before signing on the dotted line.
Learn more about Terms and Conditions.
- Know if you need any paperwork. Do your part when it comes to any outside necessary paperwork. If you live in a condo, apartment, or other type of home that you don’t own, your landlord or building supervisor will likely require that any junk removal service you use submit a certificate of insurance (COI) for them to have on file in case of any accidents. Make sure you get this taken care of days in advance so you don’t run into any hiccups. You’ll need to get a blank COI from your landlord, send it to the junk removal company for them to have filled out by their insurance company and return to you, then present the completed COI to your building manager.
- Know your pricing upfront. Ask for an all-inclusive price up front. Many junk removal companies will come out to give you a “free” onsite estimate but not include any additional fees and costs you would be paying in the end. Find out exactly what the service will cost you and how the pricing structure works so you’re not hit with sticker shock if you decide to go with that junk removal company.
- Find out how scheduling works with the junk removal company. Ask what sort of time windows are available and what happens if the hauler is late, if you’re not available when they arrive, or if you or the hauler needs to reschedule. Things just go wrong in life sometimes and plans have to change. The right junk removal company will understand this and be flexible when working with you in the event of an unexpected delay.
- Check on insurance coverage. Check for you and the junk hauler to know what is covered by your homeowners or rental insurance and what is covered by the junk removal company’s business insurance, in case of any accidental damage.
- Check social media. If you’re thinking about using a junk removal company, make sure they have a social media presence. If you can’t find their Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, or company website, this can signal a problem. Not only are customer reviews posted online, but you can also see how a junk removal company presents themselves and how they interact with their followers to get a good sense of what they’re all about.
- Know the recycling policy. Check to see what the junk removal company does with all the stuff they pick up. Hundreds of millions of tons of solid waste gets landfilled every year, so it’s important to find a junk hauler who will take the time to sort through all the junk to donate and recycle any items that can be kept out of the landfill. At LoadUp, we’ve already diverted over 3 Million pounds of junk from local landfills through donation and recycling.
Using a junk removal company to get rid of unwanted items when decluttering or redecorating your home is not only easy but can be highly rewarding too.
LoadUp’s junk removal professionals know how to get rid of big, heavy, awkward junk items like the following, and more!
- Sleeper sofas
- Hot tubs
When you count on LoadUp to get rid of your junk, you also skip all the hassle and the heavy lifting of disposing of old, unwanted junk items.
To learn more about LoadUp and our top-rated junk removal & disposal services, chat with us online or give us a call at 844-239-7711.